George Mason University
Minutes of the Retired Faculty Association – Executive Committee
November 8, 2017, 9:45 AM – 10:35 AM mtg.
Johnson Center – Room A
Members Present: Jack Censer, Bob Ehrlich, Jim Sanford, Janice Sutera Wolfe
- The meeting commenced at 9:45 AM
- Minutes of April 12, 2017 were approved after correction of name misspelling.
- HR sponsored Retirement Seminar (Jim Sanford)
- Jim will represent RFA at a table during Mason’s HR Retirement Seminar today, Nov. 11, 2017.
- Jim will check on/update letter to all faculty retirees that was composed last academic year for distribution.
- Interest Groups and other Liaisons
- Film Club had 6 attendees at the Lives of Others October film discussion. Women in Gold is the November 29 film discussion with Marion Deshmukh as a discussion resource/expert. Usually held on 4th Wednesday of each month.
- Book Club runs about 10-15 attendees each month. Hosted in homes. Host provides main luncheon dish.
- Mason Club and OLLI. Plans are afoot for a Learning in Retirement 6-program offering. Breakfast plus lecture (75 minutes) for $11 each session. Take a FREE OLLI course over breakfast: See: https://rfa.gmu.edu/olli_course/
- Programming/Events (Bob Ehrlich)
- Days and times of programming varies this academic year.
- Suggestions for programs/speakers:
- Trump writers; political scientists; Tom Davis; Danica Roem (Va House of Delegates). Action: Jack C will follow up re: Danica Roem
- Campus walk (architecture, flora, fauna). Action: Jack C. on architecture; Janice on Buildings and Grounds resources.
- Museum of African American History and Culture – planning ahead for about 10 tickets to be requested of Dr. Spencer Crew, Robinson Professor. Jack C. to contact.
7. Upcoming Events:
- Wed, Nov 8, 11AM, Rm A, Johnson Center, Talk by Dave Hall, AARP, on the Senior Driver
- Mon Dec 11, 5 PM, 163 Research Hall, Talk by Dr. Mike Summers on Life in the Universe, followed by a night sky viewing session in the observatory from about 5:40 to 6:40 PM.
- Thurs, Jan 11, 12 PM, Tour of the National Firearms Museum. Meet at noon for lunch in NRA cafeteria followed by museum tour at 1 PM, 11250 Waples Mill Road, Fairfax.
8. Fall 2017 Event attendance:
- Sat, Sept 16, 10AM. Dr. Tom Wood, Visit to Environmental Studies on the Piedmont, Warrenton, Virginia. Attended: 5
- Tues, Oct 10, 1030AM. Walk along C & O canal & lunch at Old Angler’s Inn. Attended:1
9. Meeting ended about 10:35 AM
Respectfully submitted, Janice Sutera Wolfe, Ph.D., 2012 Retiree