George Mason University
Minutes of the Retired Faculty Association – Officers Meeting and October event
October 14, 2015, 10:00-10:40 AM mtg. 10:30-11:00 AM social; 11:00 AM-noon presentation followed by lunch Aa’bee Persian & Mediterranean Fusion Restaurant, Fairfax, VA
Present: Don Boileau, Bob Ehrlich, Esther Elstun, Julie Mahler, Janice Sutera
I. The meeting began at 10:00 AM.
II. Brief Discussions/Follow up (Bob Ehrlich)
- Fall 2015 and Spring 2016 programs: See website for updates: http://rfa.gmu.edu/activities/featured-events/ Considering a visit to Gunston Hall in the spring 2016 or fall 2016.
- October event: 14 attendees representing 10 different university departments.
- November event: Robert Lichter,Professor of Communication and Director, Center for Media and Public Affairs, “Talking past Trump: Candidate communications in the 2016 presidential elections.”
- Bylaws – Jane will present rewording at a future meeting.
New Business: Succession planning – Began a discussion about succession planning. The following thoughts were generated to be discussed further at the next meeting:
- Identify May 2015 retirees and contact all other recent/new 2015 retirees
- Identify upcoming December 2015 retirees
- Each current officer identify potential candidates
III. 2015-16 Executive Committee Meetings
- Consideration will be given to moving the monthly Executive Committee meetings to the event dates when there is an RFA event. That would mean that the November meeting would be held on November 11 at 10 AM. December 9 would be the final meeting of 2015.
- The following represents a tentative list of meeting dates for 2015-16:
November 5, 2015
January 7, 2016
February 4, 2016
March 3, 2016
April 7, 2016
May 5, 2016
June 2, 2016
IV. Adjournment: About 10:40 AM
Janice Sutera Wolfe, Ph.D.