George Mason University
Minutes of the Retired Faculty Association – Officers Meeting
September 3, 2015, 12:45-1:45 PM, Aa’bee Persian & Mediterranean Fusion Restaurant, Fairfax, VA
Present: Bob Ehrlich, Esther Elstun, Jane Razeghi, Janice Sutera
I. The luncheon meeting began at 12:45 PM.
II. HR Liaison (Bob Ehrlich)
Veronique Klimonda (3-2603) is our new RFA liaison. Bob will be in touch to invite her to our Officers meetings. We may consider meeting on-campus to facilitate her attendance.
III. New Parking passes:
Reminder that new parking passes are needed for parking as the old ones will have expired.
IV. Programs (Bob Ehrlich/Julianne Mahler)
Scheduled for the second Wednesday morning of each month.
- Sept. 19 at 10:30 AM meet at Hillwood Estate, Museum, and Gardens http://www.hillwoodmuseum.org/. Lunch reservations at Café after the self-guided tour.
- Wed, Oct 14, 10:30 AM socializing & 11:00 AMlecture by Douglas Mose, Professor of Chemistry,
“Fresh Water: (a) Future Global Availability, and (b) An Assessment of the Risks and Benefits of Fracking. The talk & lunch afterwards are at Aa’bee Persian restaurant (formerly Cooking & Company), 10579 Fairfax Blvd, Fairfax, VA (No RSVP necessary. Parking in front is tight, but there is more parking in back & on the streets.)
- Wed, Nov 11, 10:30 AM socializing & 11:00 AMlecture by Robert Lichter, Professor of Communication and Director, Center for Media and Public Affairs,
“Talking past Trump: Candidate communications in the 2016 presidential elections.” The talk & lunch afterwards are at Aa’bee Persian restaurant.
- Wed, Dec 9, 10:30 AM socializing & 11:00 AMlecture by Karen Bune, adjunct professor of Criminology, Law and Society,
“Victimization of the Elderly and Senior Population,” The talk & lunch afterwards are at Aa’bee Persian restaurant.
- Wed, Jan 13, 10/10:30 AM Meet at U.S. Botanic Garden (next to U.S. Capitol.) The Garden is indoors, free, and near an Orange Line Metro stop (Federal Center). Some may wish to visit a nearby restaurant for lunch afterwards — two good choices include Article One American Grill & the restaurant in the American Indian Museum.
- Wed, Feb 10, 10:30 AM socializing & 11:00 AMlecture by Michael Summers, Professor of Physics,
“The ‘New Horizons’ mission to Pluto: What have we learned?” The talk & lunch afterwards are at Aa’bee Persian restaurant.
V. By-laws (Jane Razeghi)
- Discussed Terms of Office. Will need to stagger officer terms so two of the current officers will need to serve another year, i.e., Secretary, Treasurer.
- See RFA Bylaws https://rfa.gmu.edu/about/bylaws/
- Action: Jane will rework the bylaws and present at our next meeting. RFA Members will vote on changes at annual meeting in the spring.
VI. Interest groups (Esther Elstun)
– Book club is meeting regularly on the first Wednesday of the month at 11:30 AM in members’ homes.
— Current events is the largest interest group area identified by registered members. A number of our events are focused on “current events.” Gathering an interest group will be addressed during one of those events.
VII. 2015-16 Executive Committee Meetings
The following represents a tentative list of meeting dates for 2015-16:
October 14, 2015
November 5, 2015
January 7, 2016
February 4, 2016
March 3, 2016
April 7, 2016
May 5, 2016
June 2, 2016
VIII. Adjournment: About 1:45 PM
Janice Sutera Wolfe, Ph.D.