George Mason University
Minutes of the Retired Faculty Association – Officers Meeting
June 4, 2015, 12:15-1:40 PM, Cooking & Company Persian Restaurant, Fairfax, VA
Present: Don Boileau, Bob Ehrlich, Esther Elstun, Julianne Mahler, Jane Razeghi, Janice Sutera
I. The luncheon meeting began at 12:15 PM.
II. Brunch event report (Jane Razeghi)
- 24 attended the brunch and 17 completed an evaluation.
- Evaluation scale reported 13 to 15 very positive responses regarding: enjoyment, Kreps as a speaker, gathering with other retirees, noon time event, brunch event on Sunday, and reasonable cost. There were mixed responses regarding the restaurant location -George’s in the Johnson Center vs. preference for an off-campus location.
- Abbreviated comments: Keep social part. Weekends are good times to come to campus for some events. Have a speaker who will talk about drugs and medications. Monthly event alternating presentation/discussion with field trip, e.g. tour Manassas with someone to discuss town history. Prefer daytime to evening time; Provost’s presentation was interesting & informative; cultural, education & travel events. Theater evening.
Recommendations from Executive Committee:
- Hold brunch with speaker next year, but perhaps earlier in the spring.
- Consider off campus location again.
III. Programming: (Julie Mahler)
- Reviewed 2014-15 programs discussing attendance, quality, scheduling, and location. Most popular/well attended = field talks, Provost Stearns, Pearlstein. While lower in attendance, all programs were quality offerings!
- Fall 2015 will try offering luncheon speakers off campus at Cooking & Company Persian Restaurant, 10579 Fairfax, Blvd., Fairfax, VA 22030.
- All events will be held during the day on Wednesdays.
- Fall 2015 Speakers will be alternated with field trip events.
- Will offer programs in Sept, Oct, and Nov. One may be to Hillwood Estate, Museum, and Gardens http://www.hillwoodmuseum.org/. Another may be a lecture regarding political campaigns, and perhaps lecture by an economist. Other group excursions may include the Opera at CFA, Cirque du Soleil at National Harbor with the member “interest groups.”
IV. Elections (Janice Sutera Wolfe)
- 26 registered members voted unanimously to elect Bob Ehrlich for President and Don Boileau for Vice President. 9 additional Mason retirees voted, but their votes were not counted as only “registered” members may vote. See RFA Bylaws http://rfa.gmu.edu/about/bylaws/
- Action: Janice will report election results to all faculty retirees by email and urge retirees to register on the website at http://rfa.gmu.edu/members/list-of-members/
- Will need to stagger officer terms so two of the current officers will need to serve another year, i.e., Secretary, Treasurer.
V. Interest groups (Esther Elstun)
– Book club is meeting regularly.
– Those interested in walking were informed about Wednesday walks on campus
– Current events is the largest interest group area identified by registered members.
VI. 2015-16 Executive Committee Meetings
- The following represents a tentative list of meeting dates for 2015-16:
Sept 3, 2015
October 1, 2015
November 5, 2015
January 7, 2016
February 4, 2016
March 3, 2016
April 7, 2016
May 5, 2016
June 2, 2016
- HR Liaison to Retired Faculty Association – TBD. In the interim, Bridget Peabody is serving as our point of contact in HR. She is arranging rooms for us as needed and facilitating answers to our questions. Action: Bob will follow up with Bridget.
- Organization number for budget and room reservation purposes. Bob is following up with HR and the Provost office.
- Add more photos to website. Take photos at each event.
- Contact OLLI about offering discounts to RFA members – Bob Ehrlich?
- Don Boileau shared brochures from retired faculty associations in California. Briefly discussed creating our own brochure – featuring… involvement, scholarship, enrichment, and fun!!
VIII. Adjournment: About 1:40 PM
Janice Sutera Wolfe, Ph.D.